In the age of digital media and online marketing, there are several areas that a company should consider before developing a social media marketing strategy, but the most important aspect always comes back to content. You’ve heard the saying before: content is king. So how do you put a content marketing plan into place?
- Define. The first thing you should do when creating a content strategy is to define your goals. What do you want to gain from creating content? New leads? A better awareness of your product or services? Who is your target audience? Have a clear picture of what your strategy will be and put it into writing. When you feel that you might be veering off course, go back to your defined goals and get back on track.
- Distribute. Great content won’t do you any good if it doesn’t reach anyone. How will customers find your content? There is a wide range of social media channels to distribute your content, so you have to decide what is going to work best for your brand. From YouTube to white papers to Facebook, consider the pros and cons of each platform and pick two to three that you think will best benefit you. Make sure to keep your content fresh by regularly updating your blog and social networks.
- Discover. What kind of content will keep your customers connected? Your brand should have different types of content to help people at any point in their journey. Whether the person is a potential customer or a repeat visitor, you should have content that caters to all sorts of groups. Each of these customer segments is different and should have unique content.
- Develop. Content can take many forms, so try different methods to see what works best for you. Tell stories that are engaging about your employees, founders or even customers to make an emotional connection with your audience. Find relevant information about similar topics to share, including statistics, quotes or funny facts. You can even crowd source and have your customers create content for you by asking them to share stories about themselves and your product/services.
- Design. Make your content visually-appealing by using graphics and videos. Did you know that 90% of information that comes to the brain is visual? Infographics are great ways to get your content distributed in a fun and interesting way. They are eye-catching, they show that you are an expert in a subject and they have a tendency to go viral. 40% of people will respond better to visual information than simply plain text.
Remember: quality always wins over quantity. Yes, there is always a positive spin to being in front of a readers’ eyes when they are scrolling through their feed, but what really makes an impact, is when they stop to read what you have to say. At that given moment, you can effectively make a sale, engage them as a client and keep their interest in the future.