In today’s age, people are constantly moving about, using multiple devices, and multiple browsers and channels. This can make it quite difficult to see the impact your marketing efforts have on your business. On top of all of that, traditional attribution systems no longer offer the full picture on the effectiveness of your marketing.
Someone could have seen your ad on their phone while perusing Facebook or searching for something on Safari, and then gone back to their house and bought the item using their laptop. With traditional marketing methods, there’s no real way to measure whether that ad had an effect on the user’s decision to buy your product.
Marketers are constantly looking to understand how their marketing is driving real business outcomes, and if their marketing dollars are resulting in more value.
Facebook Attribution makes it easy to measure the effectiveness of your ads across publishers, devices, and channels.
What is Facebook Attribution?
- Facebook Attribution helps you measure the impact of your ads across the Facebook family of apps and services and across publishers, including measurement of view-based conversions and Custom Audiences among Facebook properties.
- Using the new data-driven attribution model, you can see how your ads on Facebook, Instagram, Audience Network and Messenger are contributing to incremental business results compared to if you were not running ads.
- To gain a better understanding of your audience’s digital journey, you can use cross-device reporting to understand the device customers engaged with your ads compared to where they converted.
You can use Facebook Attribution to:
- Assess the impact of cross-device behavior
- Identify best-performing campaigns, publishers or channels
- Identify best-performing campaigns and platforms within Facebook’s family of apps and services
- Determine the estimated incremental impact of Facebook campaigns
- Compare the value of prospecting vs. retargeting campaigns
Did you know nearly 45 percent of digital touchpoints, are missed by traditional measurement technologies, which understates the impact of your advertising? So, what is a touchpoint you might ask? A touchpoint is the total number of impressions, clicks, and visits that happened before a conversion based on data received from your tracking connections, pixel, app or offline event set.
Touchpoints give you a measure of how many times people interacted with your ads in any way. If your goal is to generate traffic, consider clicks or visits. If your goal is reach, consider impressions. This metric is calculated as the sum of available interactions including impressions, clicks, and visits that happened before a conversion based on data received from your tracking connections, pixel, app or offline event set. Impressions and clicks are reported for ad platforms that you’ve set up tracking connections for and are automatically reported for Facebook and Facebook-owned platforms.
More about Attribution
Facebook Attribution seamlessly measures performance visible to Facebook across the Facebook family, including on Custom Audiences, Lookalike Audiences, and mobile in-app media. Attribution has access to all your Facebook impression and click data, integrates conversion events from Facebook pixels and app events through the SDK, and offers support for Offline Conversions, to provide a holistic view into Facebook performance.
Built with a foundation of people-based insights, attribution gives you a more complete picture of your marketing performance across publishers, on and off Facebook, and across channels and devices.
Attribution is the process of assigning credit to touchpoints along a consumer’s conversion path. By understanding which of your ads should get the credit for leading the consumer to take an action, you can better measure the effectiveness of the ads and decide on the best path to optimization.
Facebook Attribution is free and available to businesses of all sizes who are looking to understand the effectiveness of their marketing, on and off Facebook.
Getting started with Attribution is as easy as implementing the Facebook pixel, SDK or Offline Conversions, and using your existing UTM parameters.
We offer two options for measuring your media:
- Visits: Performance across publishers is auto-populated using UTM tracking parameters. If you’ve already set up your Facebook pixel and include UTM parameters in your landing page URLs, no additional setup is required to use Facebook Attribution.
- Impression and click tags: Get a more complete picture of your marketing effectiveness by adding impression and click tagging across the publishers you work with.
Making Informed Decisions
Facebook’s attribution model is data-driven and trained to help you more accurately measure the incremental value of your marketing efforts. The data-driven model – available on Facebook, Instagram, Audience Network, and Messenger – provides a measurement that’s unbiased and more accurate.
Attribution helps marketers make informed decisions about which strategies and optimizations to pursue. It maximizes your return on investment by re-allocating your budget to the most effective campaigns. It increases your focus on the marketing tactics that work. It optimizes placement, creative and audiences.
Don’t feel like reading? Check out this infographic!!