Bit.ly is a fantastic, free tool to use to shorten long URLs. This comes in handy on platforms like Twitter where space is extremely limited. Unfortunately, this is where some people stop using Bit.ly. This tool offers many valuable resources other than link shortening that can help with your marketing.
- One of the most useful ways to use Bit.ly is for tracking of shortened links. You’ll notice each link you shorten is represented in a “bitmark” on your profile. Clicking on View Stats is where you’ll be able to see real-time data. You can then see how well your link has been performing.
- You can add “+” sign at the end of any bitmark to see stats on that link. This is a great way to keep tabs on your competition! You can check to see how well their links are doing, as long as they are using Bit.ly. You’ll be able to see how many clicks they are getting, as well as the number of shares, retweets and conversations surrounding the link. If they have wildly successful marketing campaigns, you will be able to tailor your next one. Keep in mind that even if it worked for them, it doesn’t mean it will work for your company.
- Bit.ly has an iPhone app that will give you stats on the go and the ability to shorten links straight from your iPhone. This is a great tool to use when meeting a client and needing to show them real-time data!
- With Bit.ly’s Chrome extension, you have the ability save and shorten a web page with one click. You also have the ability to share on Twitter, Facebook or an email. You can even preview how your message will look.
- You can bundle links together and save for quick access. If you have multiple clients, you can save each one of these bundles by their title for quick access and no confusion on where the links go to.
- Bit.ly does also have a pro version which starts at $995 a month, so it’s more tailored toward large corporations and marketing agencies. With this upgrade you have the ability to create custom branded domains and keywords. For instance, ESPN’s branded domain is es.pn and Pepsi’s is pep.si. This is great for keeping your brand in people’s minds throughout the marketing phases.
As you can see, Bit.ly is a fantastic tool with resources that can really benefit your marketing campaigns. Have you used Bit.ly and its real time stats to run or alter a campaign? I would love to hear about it in the comments below.