In Part 1 of my Twitter Advertising Guide I discussed the how-tos for creating a Follower Acquisition Campaign and a Tweet Engagement Campaign. In this sequel, I will be covering the coveted Website Clicks or Conversions objective within Twitter Ads campaign tool. In other words, how to use Twitter Ads to drive targeted traffic to your website and increase website conversions.
A Twitter Website Clicks or Conversions objective is geared toward connecting users with your website and driving traffic. Within the advertising campaign tool, you are given the options to create a Website Card, create a simple Promoted-Only Tweet or simply choose an existing Tweet. The choice is up to you, but keep the following in mind when choosing:
- Website Card: Add extra content that enhances your Tweet. It’s made up of an image, button and link. Cards improve campaign performance, because each element helps link to your website. Website cards also give you the option to choose a call to action (CTA). Those CTAs include: Read More, Shop Now, View Now, Visit Now, Book Now, Learn More, Play Now, Bet Now, Donate, Apply Here, Quote Here, Order Now and Book Tickets.
- Promoted-Only Tweet: These tweets will not show up on your public timeline and will NOT post to your followers, unless of course if you target them.
- Existing Tweet: This campaign style allows you to select a tweet from your timeline to promote.
TIP: When creating your tweets from scratch, I recommend choosing at least three different tweets. Even a combination of Website Cards, Promoted-Only and Existing Tweets works well to diversify for more effective results. I also suggest using different photos to go along with 3 Website Cards for the campaign.
Finally, the most important thing to remember when creating a Website Click or Conversions campaign is to include the URL to which you would like to drive traffic. Without this URL you will not see any performance.
After you have completed the content for your Tweet(s), you can now select how you want to target your ad. Choose from the following criteria:
- Location: Here you can enter countries, states/regions, metro areas or postal codes.
- Gender: Obvious.
- Languages: Select a language to target.
- Devices and Platforms: Choose from several different digital platforms and devices on which you would like your tweet(s) to appear.
Additional targeting criteria options include:
- Interests: Choose from interest categories that are similar to those of your target audience.
- Keywords: Reach people that might be associated with similar keywords related to your promoted tweet.
- Followers: Select specific Twitter accounts with followers that would have similar interests to your target audience.
- Television: Target people who follow specific TV shows. This is great for tweeting during TV show finales, premieres, award shows, sports games and more.
- Tailored Audiences: For this, you will need to use a third-party system through which you can upload lists or use code to collect information about your website visitors. More information is below.
The last part in targeting is to choose whether or not you would like the Promoted Tweet to appear on the Users’ timeline on their homepage.
More on Tailored Audiences
Tailored audiences uses three data types to create audience targets: Twitter IDs, email addresses or other customer data, and website cookie IDs. Here is more of what those entail:
- Twitter IDs: Compile custom groups of Twitter users.
- Email Addresses: Reach customers who have given your their contact information via email service providers like MailChimp or CRM software such as Salesforce
- Cookie IDs: Target users who have visited your website. You must first place a tag on your site and work through a third-party ad partner to use this type. This tag will allow you to remarket to Twitter users.
Following is a list of the third-party services and ad partners currently associated with each information category above:
- Twitter IDs Ad Service Options: AdParlor, Brand Networks, SHIFT, SocialCode, and Unified.
- Email Address & CRM Partners: Acxiom, AdParlor, Brand Networks, Datalogix, Epsilon, ExactTarget, LiveRamp, MailChimp, Merkle, Salesforce, SHIFT, SocialCode, and Unified. Note that by connecting to their Twitter account, MailChimp users can upload their lists directly, bypassing the need for third-party ad partner intervention.
- Cookie IDs Ad Service Options: Adara, AdRoll, BlueKai, Chango, Conversant, DataXu, Dstillery, Lotame, MediaMath, Perfect Audience, and Quantcast.
TIP: Of the list of Cookie ID remarketing ad partners, our preferred vendor is AdRoll. In our experience, only AdRoll currently offers pricing suited to small businesses.
Website Cards are priced at a cost per click (CPC) method. This means that you will only play if someone clicks over to your website.
Twitter asks you to set a daily and total budget per campaign. So the good news here is that Twitter will never charge you more than what you want to pay. Suggestions from Twitter will also be given as you set budgets for your campaigns. This offers a user-friendly way of creating ads.
On the Twitter Advertising Campaign Dashboard you will easily find and be able to track progress for your campaigns. Frequently check this page in order to optimize your ads. For example, should you be switch up or adjust your targeting or re-evaluate your under-performing ads’ creative.
One downfall is that Twitter can very easily exhaust your campaigns before their due date of running. This means you might need to raise your overall budget or lower your daily budget.
Here are some great Website Clicks or Conversions Campaigns you should check out:
With recent improvements to the campaign manager functionality, Twitter Ads are continuing to provide businesses with an effective online tool to reach their online marketing goals. Whether a brand’s goal is to grow its digital footprint, increase audience engagement or drive traffic and website conversions, running social media ad campaigns on Twitter should be part of any business’ digital marketing strategy.
Interested in seeing what Twitter Advertising can do for your business or product? Get in touch with one of StrataBlue’s digital-media marketing specialists today!